Wise Words Festival has launched the Emerging Talent Competition 2017 in partnership with Apples and Snakes.
We are giving poets, wordsmiths, lyricists, spoken word artists, raconteurs, story tellers, stand-up poets and slam champs the chance to win a year long Artist Development Package and the opportunity to work with Wise Words to develop a paid hour long performance for Wise Words 2018. This opportunity is open to poets aged between 18-30.
The Artists Development Package:
Wise Words would offer the winner a monthly mentoring session that would focus on how the winner might market and promote themselves as an artist. Depending on where the winner is based this could be in person or by Skype. As part of this they would get:
2 x professional short films to send out to potential bookers & support around putting together a promotional package
Social media training
Support around identifying potential festivals or events where they might perform
Apples and Snakes would support the poets through offering:
- A poet mentor who would give 3 x 60-90 minute mentoring sessions in person or by Skype to help the winner develop their practice over a period of time. The mentor would be chosen through discussion between the prize winner, Apples and Snakes and would depend on the availability of the chosen poet.
- Priority notice of, and booking for, Apples and Snakes Masterclasses in London and the South East
- A place on the next Writing Room project. Writing Room is a monthly writing and performing group based in London where, under tuition, poets share work and ideas and present their work at a showcase event at the end of the workshop series.
- Free entry to other Apples and Snakes London ticketed events
- A guaranteed opportunity to perform at Apples and Snakes Jawdance, London. This would be an open mic slot leading to the possibility of a short feature slot towards the end of the winners tenure.
- A guaranteed paid slot at an Apples and Snakes SE event
The winner would also get the chance to work with the Wise Words team to develop an hour long performance for Wise Words 2018. This would include working with a professional filmmaker to create a promotional film to help market the performance.
Although travel to all events wouldn’t be covered as part of this prize, we are working with Southeastern Rail to secure a sponsorship package that if confirmed, would offer the winner 6 return tickets to London from a destination within the network that Southeastern Trains cover.
How to enter
The competition is open to emerging poets between the age of 18-30 who live or work in Kent.
To enter, you will need to send us a short biography about yourself and your writing/performance experience so far and tell us, in no more than 200 words, why you think this prize would suit you. Also supply a link to a video of yourself performing live (even if it’s only in a bedroom). All work submitted into the competition must be the original work of the entrant. Previously published poems are being accepted. Anyone thought to be plagiarising material will be immediately disqualified from the competition.
Once the entries are in, a panel of experts (including representatives from Apples and Snakes and Wise Words) will choose a shortlist. Entrants must be available to perform at a final showcase at Wise Words Festival during the weekend of 6th & 7th May where the winner will be chosen.
If you think that could be you, then please e-mail email@example.com with some words about yourself and 1-3 links to films of you performing your work. Please put COMPETITION in the email subject box.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday 1st March.
Shortlisted artists will hear back from us as within 2 weeks of the deadline.
For the full terms and conditions click HERE